Based on the ‘Kyushu University Reform Plan for Activation Program’, we are currently looking for a new faculty member at the Department of Design Futures, Faculty of Design, Kyushu University. The relevant details are stated below.
1. Name of Position Offered: Associate Professor (Design and Art Curation)
2. Organization and Employment Location: Department of Design Futures, Faculty of Design, Kyushu University;
Ohashi-campus, (Shiobaru 4-9-1, Minami-ku, Fukuoka 815-8540, Japan)
3. Date of Appointment (starting date): October 1, 2022, or as soon as possible thereafter
4. Employment Period: Five Year; Tenure Track
– Interim review at the end of the third year
– Tenure track review at the end of the fourth year
– Position becomes permanent should the tenure review be successful
The applicant must have comprehensive understanding of and interest in the study of design, and fulfills the following conditions:
1)Must possess a doctoral degree or equivalent;
2)Must have achievements and practical experience in design and art curation, information editing, and international professional activities;
3)Must have wide-ranging knowledge in the field of design and art (Japan and its global context), and particularly, in-depth knowledge in the field of design and Japanese art in the pre-modern period up to the present;
4)Must possess the ability to develop an international academic network and disseminate information internationally; and
5)Must have an excellent command of the English language.
6. Educational Duties:
The successful candidate will be expected to teach the following subjects at both the undergraduate and graduate levels, in English or Japanese.
– Design in Japan (A, B), Educational Program for Japanese Art and Design (tentative subject name)
– Studio Projects (A, B), Transdisciplinary Projects (A, B)
The successful candidate is responsible for teaching ‘Implementation of an educational program to develop human resources capable of creating and disseminating Japanese design internationally’ under the Kyushu University’s Reform Plan for Activation Program.
Teaching subject/s other than those abovementioned and supervising research of students will be decided upon consultation with the successful candidate.
After a successful assessment of becoming a permanent staff member, the successful candidate will be appointed to the designated undergraduate and graduate schools. Permanent staff are responsible for wider curriculum teaching, and administration and management of the faculty.
7. Special Support:
For the purpose of Activation Program support, the following subsidies are available (tentatively):
– Employment of academic researchers, research assistants, technical staff, and others
– Expenses for promoting research
– Amount of support in 2022: 2 million yen
– Amount of support in 2023: 1 million yen
– Expenses to improve the environment for research groups
– Amount of support in 2022: 1 million yen
1) The annual salary is determined in accordance with the university’s pay scale based on experience and other metrics.
(Reference: Yearly Distribution of Job Categories by year)
Associate Professor, with an average age 47.6 years old:
Annual Allowance Average: 8,816,000 yen, maximum of 10,207,000 yen, and minimum 6,989,000 yen.
Working hours: Based on the discretionary labour system for professional work, it is regarded that working hours are 7 hours and 45 minutes, irrespective of how much time the successful candidate will actually spend on their work.
2) Holidays: Saturdays, Sundays, national holidays, and from December 29th to January 3rd.
3) Insurance: Employment, industrial accident compensation, health and employees’ pension insurance.
9. Required Documentation (provide all documents either in English or Japanese):
1) Curriculum vitae with a photograph. Please include your academic career (from high school graduation onwards), job experience, and membership of academic associations, including your duties, and any committee work;
2) List of academic and design/artistic achievements, including
I. Original papers (please separate refereed papers from non-refereed ones);
II. Co-authored papers;
III. Books: Name of authors, title, name of publisher, pages, year published;
IV. Exhibitions, conference presentations;
V. Academic awards, design or art awards;
VI. Invited lectures;
VII. List of public and private research grants awarded (include the name of research grant, title,
period, total amount of funding, and, in the case of grants awarded to a group, indicate whether or not you were the lead researcher);
VIII. Teaching experience; and
IX. Others, such as those that you consider worthy;
3) List of achievements in design and art curation and information editing;
4) Summary of research activities, curation works, and future research plans (within 1000 words);
5) Summary of teaching experience and your aspirations for education in the future (within 1000 words);
6) The name, position, affiliation, and contact information (mailing address and e-mail address) of two referees for your research activities and teaching experience;
7) Statement highlighting your strengths and strong points referred to in the list of required Qualifications (Section 5 above); and
8) Statement of purpose for this job with reference to the ‘Kyushu University Reform Plan for Activation Program’ **(within 1000 words).
**Outline of the plan can be downloaded from the following URL:
1) Please compile all the submitted documents in a folder, compress them with a password lock, and send them to the faculty member indicated below via e-mail. Please use ‘Application for Associate Professor of Kyushu University’ as the subject line when sending send your documents via email.
2) Preparing the application documents in PDF (A4-size page) is highly recommended, except in unavoidable circumstances.
3) If the compressed folder file is more than 5MB in size, please save it in an online storage where we can download it. Remember to attach in the email the URL for downloading the compressed file.
4) For the password to unlock the compressed file, kindly send it in a separate email to the faculty member indicated below.
5) If you do not receive a confirmation of receipt within three days, please contact the faculty member indicated below.
Interview: Short-listed candidates may be invited for an interview via a remote conference system such as Zoom. We do not support any expenses incurred by any candidate, such as travel or accommodation, to participate in the interview.
Application Deadline: Completed applications must arrive at Kyushu University by May 16, 2022.
1) Kyushu University is an equal opportunity employer and follows the principles of the Basic Act for the Disabled Persons (Act. No.84 of 1970, revised in 2004 and 2011), Basic Act for Gender Equal Society (Act. No.78 of 1999), Act on Employment Promotion etc. of Persons with Disabilities (Act No. 123 of 1960, revised in 2013), and the Act on the Elimination of Discrimination against Persons with Disabilities (Act No. 65 of 2013).
2) If the ability and performance in education and research are considered to be equal, preference will be given to women or non-Japanese nationals in the selection process.
3) The system of employment of faculty members with accompanying spouse has been implemented at Kyushu University from July 2017. For further information, visit the following university website:
4) Salary and Benefits: Appointment level to be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Salary and benefits are specified in the Kyushu University regulations. For further information, visit the following university website (in Japanese):
Contact and submission of the application documents to:
Prof. Satoshi MURAKI
Faculty of Design, Kyushu University
Shiobaru 4-9-1, Minami-ku, Fukuoka, 815-8540, JAPAN
*Our mail server will undergoes scheduled maintenance from 2022 May 4th until May 9th. During this period, we are expected to experience inconvenient to receive and send mails.